Streaks! The one true bane of anyone who has ever cleaned a window. Don’t let them beat you. Streaks can be stopped.
Even the best window cleaners experience streaks and smears on the job when using a window squeegee. No need to worry though. A little bit of preparation and know-how will fix the situation.
What kind of streaks do you get when cleaning windows? We’ve listed 5 common types of streaks and how to solve them once and for all.
An obstacle that can be overcome
The bad news is that streaks are a reality. They happen and it’s frustrating. The good news is that streaks are totally avoidable as well. All it takes is a few precautions and a few careful considerations while cleaning. The best window cleaners know just how to go about cleaning without streaks. And now you can do the same.
Avoid streaks of all shapes and sizes
The shape and size of a streak can tell us a lot about it. Here’s a quick troubleshooting guide that covers the most common streak types and action steps to solve or avoid them.
1. Straight Line Streaks
This can occur when the squeegee moves across the glass or in the downward direction. You can avoid this by...
• Wiping the squeegee rubber dry after each pass
• Using light pressure on the glass
• Keeping a base distance of around 7cm
• Replace the squeegee rubber often (Rubbers steak when they have a nick, are damaged or are just worn out)
• Clean immediately after you wash the glass
• Use an appropriate amount of detergent
• Ensure the rubber is fitted properly
• Ensure the rubber is high quality
• Ensure the squeegee channel is straight not bent or bowed.
2. Wobbly Or V-Shaped Streak Lines
You can avoid v-shaped or wobbly streak lines by:
• Keeping an even pressure on the squeegee
• Keeping a base distance of around 7cm
• By keeping the squeegee in contact with the glass surface all the time
• Using a smaller sized squeegee
• Cleaning immediately after you wash the window
• When cleaning curved or undulating glass use a smaller squeegee.
3. Streaks That Appear At The End Of The Cleaning Action
At times, you may see streaks that appear when you’re just about finished a pass or a swipe on the window. You can avoid them by:
• Keeping the leading edge of the rubber in line with the detergent solution
• Wiping the squeegee dry after each pass
• Creating dry zones around the edge of the window frame
• Not using excess solution
• Ensure that the rubber is fitted properly
• Ensure you cut the edge effectively and create a dry zone.
4. Streak Lines That Look Similar To Your Squeegee
This particular problem can catch you by surprise. To avoid streak lines that are as big as your cleaning tool, you must:
• Move your squeegee across the surface at a smooth, consistent speed. Do not start and stop during a single pass.
• Start cleaning from the dry zone that you have created around the window frame and not from the frame itself
• Work in a systematic manner and don’t rush the job.
• Do not place a wet squeegee on dry glass.
5. Drips And Other Problems
Drips and excess moisture around the window is another problem that needs to be taken care of. Here’s how:
• Use less water closer to the frame
• Create dry zones around the frame
• Wipe off the drips with lint free cloth
It’s not possible to cover every possible problem, cause, and solution, but you will see from this guide that most problems have common causes. Prevent them and the problems will be fewer. And that means faster, better, and more profitable results.
We’re all human. We will never be perfect but with good advice, the right equipment and plenty of practice, if you haven’t already, you can master the art of using a window squeegee.
If you’re advanced in your window cleaning, tell us how you achieve streak free glass with your squeegee? What are your top tips? Let us know what you think. If you have any ideas or tricks we can add to this page get in touch, we’d love to hear from you.
If you need to talk to someone about window cleaning squeegees and equipment our customer care team is ready to assist you. The number to call is 1300 123 499, or visit the XO2 window cleaning squeegee online shop page.
Happy window cleaning!